storia degli orologi utilizzati in Vietnam

« Older   Newer »

1. Fuciliere
        +1   -1

Master Forumer Column

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Me lo sono letto tutto d'un fiato ... complimenti! Questi sono i topic che fanno onore al forum!

Ne approfitto per chiedervi cosa ne pensate delle assegnazioni di Rolex e Tudor fatte agli UDT fra gli anni '70 e '80. Ci sono molte testimonianze di operatori che parlano dei loro 5513 e Snowflake come del "watch I was issued" ma foto di fondelli non ne ho mai viste.
    Ultimamente mi sono imbattuto nella storia di questo Snowflake posseduto da un tenente UDT in servizio in Vietnam all'inizio degli anni '70 (fonte: Tudorcollector Blog)

Pictured here is "Lieutenant Mike Slattery from UDT-13, based in Danang and belonging to the Pacific Fleet, has swam under the span of a bridge destroyed by the Vietcong. This action took place on 3 January 1971 as the first UDT and SEAL units were repatriated to the Unitied States" - passage and photo from SEALs in Vietnam by Eric Micheletti.

Here is the one and only period photo (i was able to obtain) that shows a member wearing an Olongapo. The distinct clasp on the bracelet is the telltale sign proving the bracelet is indeed an Olongapo. Also of note is that the bracelet has been painted black - a likely "In Action" necessity.

"Discussing technical details for the planned shot, shows - left to right - Kelley, Fager, Slattery, and Lewis."

A closer look reveils another shot of Mr. Slattery wearing his Olongapo bracelet:

Further correspondence with Mr. Slattery has led to a wonderful addition here - Mr. Slattery has been kind enough to share a few photos of his issued Tudor and his Olongapo bracelet. Here is a portion of a recent email about the bracelet and watch:

"The bracelet was made in the PI (I assume Olongapo since UDT-13 was forward based at Subic Bay from where it deployed detachments to Vietnam.) When I returned from one of those deployments as OIC Det Hotel in Danang I received my bracelet per an order given to one to my Team mates who took on the task of submitting them for those who wanted one. I don't recall the specific details on how the watch was issued, but all operators (officers & enlisted) got one (watches were used during dives & other missions). "

"When I transferred to Team 1 I took it off the UDT bracelet and put it on a standard black wrist band with a compass on it when I deployed back to Vietnam from ST-1".

In rete vi sono testimonianze analoghe di membri UDT/SEAL che parlano di Rolex e Tudor come degli orologi che gli furono assegnati dal reparto (appena ho tempo posto ancora qualcosa) ma personalmente foto di fondelli non ne ho mai viste.

140 replies since 8/2/2013, 22:04   23377 views